The term “superfoods” has gotten a lot of use over the past few years, which has caused many to discount the term. While we believe that some of the most super foods you can put into your body on a regular basis aren’t so extraordinary or exotic (we’re looking at you, broccoli) we believe there is a time and a place for supplementing your diet with so-called superfoods. These high-potency ingredients are packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, and since they are mainly sold in dried or powdered form, they are great to keep on hand for when you need a quick nutritional boost and haven’t hit the store for fresh produce.
Learn more about the superfoods you’ll see on our shelves, plus see which brands we recommend.
Superfood berries are sold dried, powdered, or in capsules. They are prized for their antioxidants, which fight free radicals in the body. Vitamins C and E, as well as resveratrol are some of the antioxidants you’ll find in these dried berries.
Try: Acai Berry, Goji Berry, Camu Camu, Pomegranate, Mulberry, Maqui Berry, Goldenberry
Brands to look for: Navitas Organics
How to use: Mix into smoothies, oats, chia pudding, or yogurt. Try this Super Berry Chia Jam.
Seeds contain essential fatty acids, which are fats that our bodies do not produce, that we must get through food. These healthy fats are known to reduce inflammation. Seeds also offer fiber which is important for making us feel full and for flushing out our systems.
Try: Chia, Hemp, Flax, Pumpkin, Sesame
Brands to look for: Nutiva, Manitoba Harvest, Spectrum
How to use: If you haven’t tried chia pudding yet, give it a go! Loved by adults and children alike, it is easy to make and full of protein and healthy fats.
Marine superfoods like algae and seaweed are incredibly nutrient-dense. Algae offers protein, iron, essential amino acids, potassiumz, zinc, calcium, and vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6 and B-12. Seaweed is a rich source of vitamins A, C, D, E, K and B vitamins, as well as several minerals, including calcium, magnesium, potassium, copper, and iron.
Try: Spirulina, Chlorella, Dulse, Kombu, Wakame, Arame
Brands to look for: KWF brand Super Kelp, Nutrex Hawaii, Healthforce, Maine Coast Sea Veg, Seaweed Island, Eden Organics, SeaVegi
How to use: In general, algae can be added to smoothies and chia puddings with very little added flavor. Try adding it to everything from soups, to baked goods, to salad dressing. Find inspiration here. Sea vegetables such as dulse and kombu can be used in cooking, in soups, salads, and casseroles.
Green and Sprouted Grains Powders
Chlorophyll, the molecule that makes plants green, helps to flush heavy metals, such as mercury, out of the body. Rich in vitamins and minerals, green powders made from plants such as wheatgrass or barley grass are an easy way to give your system a boost, particularly in the winter months. Try matcha (green tea powder) for extra antioxidants.
Try: Chlorophyll, Wheatgrass, Sprouted Barley, Matcha
Brands to look for: Kuli Kuli, Green Kamut, Garden of Life, Vibrant Health, Orgain, PureBlend. Look for blended green powders, too, like Vibrant Health Green Vibrance.
How to use: These generally taste best when blended into a smoothie, to tame their very “green” flavor. Start out by adding just a small amount to a fruit smoothie, then increase how much you’re taking as you adjust to the flavor.
Other herbs and plants
- Aloe Juice – Can be used to decrease irritation in the stomach and intestines. Try Herbal Answers.
- Maca Powder – Used to increase stamina, energy, and athletic performance. Try Gaia & Navitas brands.
- Turmeric – A prized anti-inflammatory herb. Try making your own Golden Milk Latte!
- Mushrooms – Can be used for a variety of purposes, including anti-aging, endurance, detoxing, and weight control. Try Om and Host Defense brands.
- Bee Pollen – Rich in vitamins and minerals, and can be used to decrease inflammation in the body. Support a local beekeeper when you pick up a jar from Swarmbustin’ Honey.
- Manuka Honey – Produced in New Zealand by bees that pollinate the Manuka bush, this honey can be used topically and internally to treat a variety of ailments including burns and sore throats. Try Wedderspoon brand.
- Superfood Blends – These make life easy! Enjoy the benefits of a wide variety of blended superfoods, all in one package. Try brands like Navitas and Amazing Grass.
As always, we encourage you to speak with one of our knowledgeable apothecary team members when you shop to learn even more about what these superfoods have to offer. How do you incorporate superfoods into your daily routine? Let us know in the comments!