New York Steelhead Trout from Hudson Valley Fisheries has a mild, clean, delicate flavor and a bright orange, velvety firm flesh with a medium flake. Think of it as salmon’s (even tastier!) cousin. It’s ideal for raw, cured, smoked, and cooked preparations, and is rich in omega 3 fatty acids. Hudson Valley Fisheries aims to protect wild populations and the environment through their state-of-the-art land-based Biosecure Recirculating Aquaculture System (RAS). Every aspect of their business model is designed to keep their carbon footprint small, including their central location, which allows them to offer impeccably fresh, local fish to our area. Find it at your neighborhood Kimberton Whole Foods!
What You’ll Need
- 1lb New York Steelhead Trout
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sriracha, chili paste, or wasabi
For Pickled Cucumber and Carrots
- 2x 6-inch Persian cucumbers, julienned
- 2x 8-inch carrots, peeled and julienned
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup cold water
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon, dry chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon, mustard seeds
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 cup sliced avocado
- ½ cup pickled ginger
- ¼ cup sliced green scallion
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 2 cups white rice
- Skin and dice steelhead into ½ inch cubes
- In a medium-sized bowl combine diced steelhead, soy sauce, vinegar, sriracha and sesame oil. Mix, cover and refrigerate.
- Combine vinegar, water, honey, mustard seeds, salt and chili flakes in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, turn off the heat, cool for 10 minutes, add cucumber and carrots and stir.
- Let rest 10 minutes in refrigerator, then transfer cucumber and carrots to a container, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To serve, add any of the suggested additional ingredients to the bowl. Top with ½ cup steelhead poke, pickled vegetables and other toppings.
Recipe courtesy of Hudson Valley Fisheries.