These Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars come together quickly, with ingredients you likely already have on-hand. Enjoy a one as a sweet snack with a cup of tea or coffee. This recipe comes to us from local bloggers and masters of gluten-free baking: Bethany and Rachel DiCarlo of Athletic Avocado. Simply swap out the egg for a flax egg and this recipe is vegan, too!
What You’ll Need
- 1 cup oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup applesauce or 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 egg, beaten (sub flax egg for vegan option)
- 1-2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1-2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup smooth creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine oats and baking powder in a large bowl and mix well
- In a separate bowl, mix together applesauce, egg and maple syrup. Add to oat mixture and combine well.
- Spoon mixture into loaf pan and spread evenly. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Add chocolate chips to a small bowl and melt in microwave. Mix in peanut butter until fully combined, add on top of oat base.
- In a small bowl mix together oats, coconut oil, and maple syrup in a small bowl until a crumb mixture forms. Spoon on top. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Let cool then place in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Slice into 8 bars.
- store in the fridge, enjoy!
Recipe and photo courtesy of Athletic Avocado.