Spring Vegetable Quiche
Kimberton Whole Foods Co-Owner, Pat Brett, shares her go-to quiche recipe, a favorite of both our customers and staff.
One 8-9 inch quiche or pie dish
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Flour Mix
- 1 stick butter or non-dairy substitute
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup cold water (more as needed)
- 3 large eggs See our list of local egg producers
- 1 ½ cups half and half or non-dairy creamer
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 8 oz shredded cheese (we like gruyere, aged gouda, or swiss)
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into one inch pieces
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Blend all crust ingredients in food processor before slowly adding water. Pulse until mixture holds together. Press the dough into pie plate with your fingers for a rustic look, or flatten into a disk between two sheets of waxed paper and chill for 30 minutes before rolling out between sheets. Peel off top layer of waxed paper, invert onto pie plate and carefully peel off remaining sheet. Trim edges and flute or crimp any way that you like. Spread grated cheese on crust and add seasonal vegetables.
Whisk egg, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg together before pouring over the other filling ingredients. Place pie plate on large rimmed baking sheet (to catch drips) and bake for 45 – 60 minutes, checking quiche periodically. Remove when quiche is no longer “jiggly” in the center. Let cool and enjoy! This quiche is tasty warm, or at room temperature, and makes delicious leftovers (if there are any).