KWF Recipe Developer Extraordinaire, Colin Brett, recently shared this summer grilling favorite. Portobello mushrooms are a filing vegetarian option for the grill because of their naturally meaty texture, not to mention, they fit perfectly on a hamburger bun! This recipe can easily be made vegan by swapping out the cheese and mayonnaise with vegan alternatives.
4 large portabella mushrooms (4–5 inches in diameter)
8 stalks of asparagus
3 oz. fresh, organic spinach
1 large sweet onion
2 bell peppers (red or yellow)
¾ cup Smoked Gouda Cheese or Parmela Creamery’s Cashew Milk Shredded Cheese (vegan option)
Sir Kensington’s Chipotle Mayonnaise or Chipotle Vegenaise (vegan option)
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
1 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp Whiskey Hollow Pennsylvania Maple Syrup
1 tsp Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper
- Mix balsamic vinegar, olive oil, hot sauce, maple syrup, Italian seasoning, ¼ tsp salt and ½ tsp black pepper in a bowl. Place mushrooms in a large container or a gallon-sized plastic bag.
- Add marinade and let sit for one hour.
- Heat gas grill on medium for 15 minutes.
- Trim the bottoms of the asparagus, place on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil to coat.
- Place baking sheet directly on the racks of the grill. Cook for 5 minutes, or until tender. Remove asparagus and set aside.
- Add peppers and onions to a pan with olive oil. Cook on stovetop at medium-high for 3–5 minutes until soft. Remove peppers and onions and set aside.
- Remove mushrooms from marinade and place gill side up on grill. Pour extra marinade evenly over mushrooms.
- Close grill and cook for 3–5 minutes until mushrooms have released their liquid. Flip mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes. Turn off heat, and flip mushrooms gill side up.
- While still on grill, portion fresh spinach over the mushrooms and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Leave on grill for a minute or until cheese has melted. Remove mushroom from grill.
- Top burger with peppers, onions and asparagus, and add a dollop of Sir Kensington’s Chipotle Mayonnaise or Chipotle Vegenaise.
- Serve over fresh greens or on a hamburger bun