Try this hearty and healthful Protein Packed Veggie Burger recipe from Manitoba Harvest. The hemp seeds add protein and other vital nutrients like magnesium, fiber, zinc, and iron. Learn more about hemp here.
What You’ll Need
- ¾ cup dried lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 cups brown mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced (about 3 cloves)
- ½ cup Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- ½ tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. chipotle powder
- 2 tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- Juice from ½ lemon
- Hamburger buns
- Cilantro Hemp Dressing
- Heirloom tomato
- Bring lentils, vegetable broth and ½ teaspoon sea salt to a boil.
- Cover and simmer until liquid has been absorbed, stirring once or twice for about 30 minutes.
- Mash well with a potato masher or in a food processor and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a pan over medium-high, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil until hot but not smoking. Add onion and saute for about 3 minutes until starting to brown.
- Add mushrooms and garlic to onion mixture and saute for about 5 minutes until mushrooms become golden.
- Remove from heat and mix in mashed lentils and remaining ingredients. Season with sea salt to your taste.
- Form into 4 patties.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes to overnight.
- Bake 15 minutes at 425°F until heated through and slightly crispy on the edges.
- Serve on your favourite bun with tomato, arugula and Cilantro Hemp Dressing.