Our weekly Real Meal offers you a healthy dinner idea that you can get on the table quickly, using our favorite organic and all-natural products. We’re feeling ready for Autumn with this seasonally satisfying Roasted Butternut Squash and Bacon Soup, made with locally-grown butternut squash. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, toss together 1 butternut squash (peeled, seeded, and cut in 1-inch chunks), 1 onion (diced), 1 red bell pepper (chopped), 4 slices bacon (diced), 2 tbsp olive oil, and 2 cloves garlic (minced); season with salt and pepper, to taste. Gently toss to combine, and spread onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until butternut squash is tender, stirring halfway through cooking.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 4 more slices of bacon (diced) and cook until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Heat a large stockpot over medium heat. Add butternut squash mixture and ½ tsp dried thyme, and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in 2.5 cups chicken stock and puree with an immersion blender.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. If the soup is too thick, add more chicken stock as needed.
- Serve immediately, garnished with bacon, goat cheese and chives, if desired.