This Navy Bean Soup recipe comes to us from Kimberton Whole Foods customer, MaryAnn Neblock. It can be prepared in under an hour, with just 10 ingredients! The molasses gives this soup the rich and comforting flavor of Boston Baked Beans. See note below for a few simple swaps to make this soup vegetarian. Let us know what you think in the comments below!
What You’ll Need
- 1/2 package (4 oz) Applegate uncured Sunday bacon, cut into small strips
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 (28oz) cans Eden navy beans, not drained
- 1 box (32oz) Pacific low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 (28oz) can Muir Glen petite-diced, fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tbsp molasses
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped parsley (optional)
In a large pot, cook bacon until crispy, over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and cook until translucent. Add the beans, stock , molasses, and cook for about 10 minutes. Add the potato and tomatoes. Adjust seasoning and cook for about 15-20 minutes more, or until potatoes are tender. Adjust salt and pepper once again. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley, if desired.
For a vegetarian version, skip the bacon and use olive oil to cook the onion. Use a mild vegetable stock and add 1/2 tsp smoked paprika to give a smoky flavor.