Kimberton Whole Foods customer, MaryAnn Neblock, was kind enough to share this photo and recipe for Southwestern Style Lentil Vegetable Soup with us. She suggests serving it with cornbread or your favorite bread or rolls for dipping. Let us know what you think in the comments below!
What You’ll Need
- 2 slices thick cut bacon, chopped (use 4 slices if regular-cut)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery, with leaves if possible
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or grated
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed & sorted
- 1 cup water PLUS 4 cups stock: low-sodium chicken or 2 cups chicken and 2 cups beef
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 tsp salt & fresh pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup jarred roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 cup (cooked) black beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro (optional)
Cook chopped bacon in EVOO till almost crisp. Add chopped onion and celery and cook until slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
Add 1 clove pressed garlic and cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add lentils, water, stock, carrots, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, chili powder, and oregano.
Bring to a boil; reduce to simmer (uncovered) about 20 minutes.
Add frozen corn, roasted red peppers, black beans and diced tomatoes. Adjust seasonings to taste and add more liquid if too thick.
Simmer about 10 minutes, check that the lentils are tender. Add chopped fresh parsley or cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!