Our weekly Real Meal offers you a healthy dinner idea, allowing you to make the most of the organic and all-natural products featured in our Weekly Real Deals. This week, try this satisfying Vegan Eggplant Bake to make the most of in-season Pennsylvania-grown eggplant. A crowd-pleaser for vegans and non-vegans alike!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat a large skillet or grill pan over medium high heat and add a drizzle of oil. Grill eggplant slices (from 2 eggplants) on each side until just starting to brown on each side. (You’ll need to do this in batches to allow each slice room) Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Fill a casserole dish with a shallow layer of your favorite marinara sauce. Layer ½ of the eggplant on top, followed by a handful of Violife vegan mozzarella. Repeat layers again.
- In a small bowl, mix ½ cup of breadcrumbs with 1 tbsp olive oil and salt & pepper to taste. Sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until golden, bubbling, and heated through. (Cover with foil if browning too quickly)
- Serve with freshly-boiled pasta or some crusty Italian bread.
Recipe inspiration from YummyMummyKitchen.com