Following a gluten-free diet can no longer be considered just a trend: with more and more people removing wheat from their diet, the “Gluten-Free” section is here to stay. Just because you’re following a gluten-free diet, we know that you don’t want to compromise quality, nor do you want to give up your favorite holiday traditions. We believe in starting with the best ingredients, like organic flours and meals that are naturally gluten-free. Read on to see some of our top picks for pantry staples to keep on hand for delicious and effortless baking.
Are you more of a “break-and-bake” or “boxed mix” type of cook? No worries! We’ve also rounded up a list of our favorite brands for easy holiday baked goods, that can be prepared with minimal fuss.
Our Go-To Gluten-Free Baking Ingredients
- Xanthan Gum – emulsifier and binder, flavorless
- Oat Flour – mild sweet flavor, a great whole-grain flour with plenty of fiber and protein
- Almond Flour – nutty flavor, perfect for paleo and gluten-free baking, best kept refrigerated
- Brown Rice Flour – mild, nutty, and nutritious, it is the base of many gluten-free flour blends
- Sorghum Flour – a staple in India and Africa, sweet flavor, smooth texture, high in protein, iron, and dietary fiber
- Coconut Flour – made from dried and ground coconut, adds a light coconut flavor and plenty of fiber, paleo-friendly
- Buckwheat Flour – earthy and nutty, blend with other flours to lend flavor, protein, and calcium
- Arrowroot Starch – extracted from the root of a tropical plant, adds crisp, light, delicate texture, flavorless
- Potato Starch – a mild starch, adds moistness to gluten-free baked goods
- Flaxseed Meal – nutty flavor, good source of omega-3 fatty acids, acts as a binder in baked goods
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour or AP Flour (Or, make it yourself.)
Gluten-Free Versions of Classic Christmas Cookies
- Hazelnut and Buckwheat Cut-Outs
- Almond Chocolate Chip Shortbread
- Classic Chocolate Chip
- Cinnamon Thins
- Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Paleo Gingerbread
Brands We Love
Health-savvy shoppers know that too often, gluten-free baked goods can contain unwanted ingredients – not the case at Kimberton Whole Foods. Try these quality brands!